Thursday, June 24, 2004

Proper Propaganda - Michael Moore's Fahrenheit 9/11 is unfair and outrageous.

Proper Propaganda - Michael Moore's Fahrenheit 9/11 is unfair and outrageous. You got a problem with that? By David Edelstein: "9/11: Bias and bullying for a good cause Back in the '80s - the era of Reagan and Bush 41, when milquetoasts Walter Mondale and Michael Dukakis were the ineffectual Democratic candidates and Jimmy Carter was off building houses for poor people, when Anthony Lewis was writing oh-so-temperately in the New York Times, which was then leaning neoconward under the stewardship of Abe Rosenthal, when there was an explosion of dirty Republican tricksters like Lee Atwater and trash-talking right-wingers, from Morton Downey Jr. to the fledgling Rush Limbaugh - I found myself wishing, wishing fervidly, for a blowhard whom the left could call its own. Someone who wouldn't shrink before the right's bellicosity. Someone who would bellow back, mock unashamedly, and maybe even recapture the prankster spirit of counterculture figures like Abbie Hoffman.

Yeah, I know: Be careful what you wish for.

In 20 years of writing about film, no movie has ever tied me up in knots the way Michael Moore's Fahrenheit 9/11 (Lions Gate) has. It delighted me; it disgusted me. I celebrate it; I lament it. I'm sure of only one thing: that I don't trust anyone - pro or con - who doesn't feel a twinge of doubt about his or her responses. What follows might be broadly labeled as 'waffling,' but I hope, at least, that it is bold and decisive waffling."

By David Edelstein
Slate

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home