Saturday, July 31, 2004

The Daily News: 'Fahrenheit 9/11' and war stories touch reporter

The Daily News Online: "I went to see 'Fahrenheit 9/11' recently, expecting a blatant political message. I didn't expect to cry all the way through it.

Yes, the documentary, as director Michael Moore admits, is stridently anti-Bush. But the heart of the film goes beyond politics. It shows the horrors of war. Not just the blood and death -- although there are plenty of both -- but the horrors for those who are left behind.

Driving away afterwards, my eyes were hurt so bad that I could barely see the road signs. I couldn't wait to get home and collapse. All I had done was sit in a theater for two hours, but I was exhausted.

My reaction reminded me of how I felt when I first started covering military affairs at work. Two months ago, my boss agreed that we needed a reporter to cover local people with family members serving in Iraq.

I volunteered."



By M. L. Madison
The Daily News

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home