Sunday, June 20, 2004

USATODAY.com - The truth about Michael Moore

USATODAY.com - The truth about Michael Moore: NEW YORK - Filmmaker Michael Moore isn't into gloating or vindication. But some might not blame him if he were.

Considered Moore's most slickly produced effort, Fahrenheit 9/11 is alternately shocking, manipulative, draining and humorous.

"Someone told me that this is the first movie made to justify an Oscar speech," says Moore, 50, scruffy in his ubiquitous uniform: jeans, New Balance sneakers, baseball jacket and Michigan State cap. "In essence, it's true.

"When I gave that speech, it wasn't embraced by majority opinion," he says. "Maybe I needed to clarify myself. That probably had a lot to do with making the film.

"Having America's greatest living filmmaker say that, I'm honored," Moore says. "We've made an important film that seems to have transcended cinema. That's something you could only wish for."

Energized by the early response to Fahrenheit, Moore and Glynn (wife) are plotting their next undoubtedly provocative documentary. Sicko,a look at America's malfunctioning health-care system, is due in 2006.

Should Fahrenheit 9/11 provide a second Academy Award, what will his acceptance speech say?

Casting a bemused look at Glynn, Moore says he isn't sure.

"But I'm not going to say 'I told you so.' "

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home