Monday, September 06, 2004

Michael Moore.com : Why I Will Not Seek a Best Documentary Oscar (I'm giving it up in the hopes more voters can see "Fahrenheit 9/11")

Michael Moore.com : Mike's Message : Messages: "I had dinner recently with a well-known pollster who had often worked for Republicans. He told me that when he went to see 'Fahrenheit 9/11' he got so distraught he twice had to go out in the lobby and pace during the movie.
'The Bush White House left open a huge void when it came to explaining the war to the American people,' he told me. 'And your film has filled that void -- and now there is no way to defeat it. It is the atomic bomb of this campaign.'
He told me how he had conducted an informal poll with 'Fahrenheit 9/11' audiences in three different cities and the results were all the same. 'Essentially, 80% of the people going IN to see your movie are already likely Kerry voters and the movie has galvanized them in a way you rarely see Democrats galvanized.

'But, here's the bad news for Bush: Though 80% going IN to your movie are Kerry voters, 100% of those COMING OUT of your movie are Kerry voters. You can't come out of this movie and say, 'I am absolutely and enthusiastically voting for George W. Bush.''

I have informed our distributors of my decision. They support me (in fact, they then offered to submit our film for all the other categories it is eligible for, including Best Picture -- so, hey, who knows, maybe I'll get to complete that Oscar speech from 2003! Sorry, just kidding).

Don't get your hopes up for seeing "Fahrenheit 9/11" on TV before the election. In fact, I would count on NOT seeing it there (you know me, I'm always going after something I probably shouldn't). Get to the theaters soon, if you haven't already, or get it from the video store in October and hold house parties. Share it with everyone you know, especially your nonvoting friends. I have included 100 minutes of extras on the DVD -- powerful footage obtained after we made the movie, and some things that are going to drive Karl Rove into a permanent tailspin -- more on this later!

Thanks for all of your support. And go see "Super Size Me," "Control Room," "The Corporation," "Orwell Rolls Over in His Grave," "Bush's Brain," Robert Greenwald's films and the upcoming "Yes Men." You won't be sorry!" (Links to these films are located on the right margin of this blog.)


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home