Saturday, June 26, 2004

The New York Times: Democrats Find Relief Among Allies at 'Fahrenheit 9/11'

The New York Times > Washington > Campaign 2004 > At the Movies: Democrats Find Relief Among Allies at 'Fahrenheit 9/11': "ARMEL, Ind., June 26 - Doug and Julie Arnold were among the early arrivals on Friday at the Regal Cinemas here, where Michael Moore's Bush-bashing film, 'Fahrenheit 9/11,' opened before noon on the first day of its exposure to a national audience.

The Arnolds had to drive 50 miles to get to this affluent Indianapolis suburb from their home in Kokomo, and Mr. Arnold had to take the morning off from his job as a school administrator, but, as Mrs. Arnold explained, 'They just don't show art movies in Kokomo.'

The couple said they were impressed that the film had won the top prize at the Cannes Film Festival last month. And they said they were also motivated by the hoopla surrounding the film. But Mr. Arnold seemed almost embarrassed to add, 'Moore's politics pretty much align with ours.'
Such was the mood at the Regal Cinemas, a free-standing complex behind a shopping mall, where one of 17 screens was showing 'Fahrenheit 9/11' and where central Indianans of liberal inclination gathered as if in a secret club, seeking safety and solace among like-minded citizens.

And in Pensacola, Fla., Monica Moody, a 20-year-old restaurant hostess who described herself as a conservative Republican, proved to be Mr. Moore's perfect target.

"Oh my goodness, I cried," Ms. Moody said. "I'm still trying to process everything. It really makes me question what I feel about the president. I'm still going to respect him as our president, but it makes me question his motives. Of course, I think that's the whole point of the film, to question his motives. But after watching it, I do question my loyalty to the president. And that's scary for me."


By BRUCE WEBER

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home