Tuesday, June 15, 2004

This Modern World by Tom Tomorrow: Fahrenheit 911 Review

This Modern World by Tom Tomorrow: June 13, 2004 - June 19, 2004 Archives:

"Went to the premiere last night, along with many fabulous celebrities. Martha Stewart! Leo DiCaprio! Spike Lee! Lots of people you vaguely recognize but aren't sure why! Lots of people you don't recognize at all who are nonetheless apparently very famous! And Bill O'Reilly--and Al Franken! It's true, they were in the same room at the same time--lucky it was a large theatre. I've met Al Franken three or four times, and in situations you'd think he might remember, but each time, I get a completely blank look, so last night I decided not to bother the man as he walked past me. As for O'Reilly, I'm not entirely sure he made it to the end of the film--I saw where he was sitting, but didn't see him after. Pity--I was hoping to ask him if he was ready to renounce the dark side now, because honestly, I don't know how anyone on his side of the fence could sit through that movie and not have at least a little self doubt at the end.

Seats were assigned--I was kind of off in the cheap seats, up in the balcony area. But then again, I was sitting directly behind Kurt Vonnegut, so there you go.

So. You're going to hear a lot of nonsense about Michael Moore over the next few weeks. You're going to read a lot of commentary about this film from people who haven't seen it, and you're going to read nitpicky bullshit from the usual self-appointed fact checkers. Not to mention a lot of truly ignorant bloviation about how much Michael "hates America." My advice is, ignore it all. Go see the movie, decide for yourself. And on the way out, be sure to tell the usher, or the manager if he or she is around, that you appreciate the theatre giving you the opportunity to do so. I suspect this movie's going to be kind of a rallying point--like a protest march, a way of seeing look, we are here, which is partly why the right wing thugs don't want it to be shown."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home