Sunday, September 26, 2004

The Winnipeg Sun : Antichrist superstar Marilyn Manson celebrates a decade of decadence with greatest-hits disc

(excerpt)

...

But he found a freedom-of-speech ally in cinematic agitator Moore, who interviewed him at length after the high school shooting tragedy at Columbine, where the two young killers were targeted as Manson fans.

"I think people really changed their opinion, especially after seeing the bit in Bowling For Columbine," says Manson, 35. "The idea that people come up to me and say, 'I didn't know that you were so smart,' it's not that much of an insult. If they say it in that way that's sort of too dumb to know that their compliment is an insult, I always say, 'I didn't know you were that f--ing stupid."

Still, Manson says his preference is for Moore's followup, Fahrenheit 9/11.
"I just found it to be much more relevant. I liked Bowling For Columbine but I wish he would have followed through with some things 'cause it started to become Bowling For Canada to me in a way. He talked about Canada so much. And I really wanted him to talk about parents. You know, he talked to one of the victims' parents, but I really would have liked to have seen him talk to the killers' parents. I don't think anyone's tried. I don't think I've ever seen them in the press once. And I find that peculiar."

Manson isn't sure whether Fahrenheit 9/11 will change the course of the coming U.S. election. Frankly, he's apathetic about its outcome to begin with.

"In some ways, I don't care and I know that's very irresponsible, but look who you're talking to," he says. "I just don't believe in politics. Maybe that's because my dad went to Vietnam, he came back, and was treated like s--t. He never had a bad attitude. He had severe post-traumatic stress syndrome. We just recently, for the first time in 20 years, talked about it. And it's one of those things where I think if you are being patriotic, be an artist, that's what you've got to be, make sure your opinion's heard."

'click on the title for the whole article)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home